- This event has passed.
Monthly Milwaukee Meeting — Therapist Panel
June 17, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm CDT
Choosing a therapist can feel daunting. FORGE will try to make it easier by hosting a panel of local therapists with significant experience working with transgender and non-binary individuals and loved ones. Through a moderated discussion, each provider will talk about their approaches and experience, as well as answer participants’ questions. If you are in the market for a therapist, maybe you’ll meet them here! If you’re not in the market for a therapist, increase your community-resource value by learning more about some of the professionals who serve the SE Wisconsin trans/non-binary communities.
What’s the purpose of FORGE’s Milwaukee Monthly Meetings?
- Share information on pre-selected subjects.
[Ideas for discussions, speakers, books, films, and panels are initiated by group recommendations and facilitator suggestions. With only 12 monthly meetings per year, these topics only touch a small number of areas with plenty of room for post-meeting discussion and other groups to take on other topics.]
- Provide support for people who attend.
[All people who are interested in trans and gender non-binary issues are welcome.
We encourage people to participate at their level of comfort.
- [Note: Milwaukee Monthly Meetings are not political action or social justice-focused events. Our purpose is support and information-sharing. There is ample community space for political organizing, confronting injustice, and creating action agendas.
FORGE monthly meetings are not that space.]
Creating a space where people can feel free to participate is important. These are some working agreements and principles that FORGE meetings operate under. We will review and add to this list at tonight’s meeting.
- Confidentiality / Privacy
- Use “I” statements
- One person / one mic
- Move up / move back
- Oops and ouch (and snap)
- People can choose to be quiet / Participation is voluntary
- We are more than our gender (or any one identity/component)
- Speak about own experiences – please do not talk about others not in the room
- Criticism-free zone – no hurtful or negative comments about individuals or agencies
- In this support-centered space, everyone has an equal voice
- Respect different backgrounds, experiences, and identities
- Remember we all have trauma