- This event has passed.
Monthly Milwaukee Meeting: Addiction and coping strategies
July 25, 2015 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm CDT
Many people in the trans community are in recovery — from alcohol, drugs, food, sex, cutting, or other forms of addiction or repetitive behaviors. Oftentimes, we use chemicals or specific adaptive strategies to cope with life’s challenges, past trauma, or the micro- or macro-aggressions in day to day life. July’s meeting will include a panel of individuals who will discuss addiction, coping strategies, and recovery. Topics will include what has been helpful in dealing with stressful situations, negative emotions, and cravings. Different approaches to recovery and healing will also be discussed, in addition to a 12-step model.
Let us know you are attending by signing up on the Facebook Event Page! https://www.facebook.com/events/424946641041291/
Creating a space where people can feel free to participate is important. These are some working agreements and principles that FORGE meetings operate under. We will review and add to this list at tonight’s meeting.
- Confidentiality / Privacy
- Use “I” statements
- One person / one mic
- Move up / move back
- Oops and ouch (and snap)
- People can choose to be quiet / Participation is voluntary
- We are more than our gender (or any one identity/component)
- Speak about own experiences – please do not talk about others not in the room
- Criticism-free zone – no hurtful or negative comments about individuals or agencies
- In this support-centered space, everyone has an equal voice
- Respect different backgrounds, experiences, and identities
- Remember we all have trauma
What’s the purpose of FORGE’s Milwaukee Monthly Meetings?
- Share information on pre-selected subjects.
[Ideas for discussions, speakers, books, films, and panels are initiated by group recommendations and facilitator suggestions. With only 12 monthly meetings per year, these topics only touch a small number of areas with plenty of room for post-meeting discussion and other groups to take on other topics.]
- Provide support for people who attend.
[All people who are interested in trans and gender non-binary issues are welcome. We encourage people to participate at their level of comfort.]
- [Note: Milwaukee Monthly Meetings are not political action or social justice-focused events. Our purpose is support and information-sharing. There is ample community space for political organizing, confronting injustice, and creating action agendas. FORGE monthly meetings are not that space.]