- This event has passed.
No Monthly Milwaukee Meeting
November 26, 2016 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm CST
There will be no formal monthly FORGE support meeting on November 26, 2016.
Instead, we encourage you to attend the free 15th Annual RCPC ThanksgivingFest & Potluck at the Milwaukee LGBT Community Center (1110 N Market St, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202). Fun and games start at 1:00pm; the potluck begins at 4:00pm. Learn more about the event (and RSVP if you’d like!) at https://www.facebook.com/events/1646437578982243/
Sponsors include: the Milwaukee LGBT Community Center, FORGE, the Galano Club, and the Milwaukee Metropolitan Community Church.
What’s the purpose of FORGE’s Milwaukee Monthly Meetings?
- Share information on pre-selected subjects.
[Ideas for discussions, speakers, books, films, and panels are initiated by group recommendations and facilitator suggestions. With only 12 monthly meetings per year, these topics only touch a small number of areas with plenty of room for post-meeting discussion and other groups to take on other topics.]
- Provide support for people who attend.
[All people who are interested in trans and gender non-binary issues are welcome.
We encourage people to participate at their level of comfort.
- [Note: Milwaukee Monthly Meetings are not political action or social justice-focused events. Our purpose is support and information-sharing. There is ample community space for political organizing, confronting injustice, and creating action agendas.
FORGE monthly meetings are not that space.]
Creating a space where people can feel free to participate is important. These are some working agreements and principles that FORGE meetings operate under. We will review and add to this list at tonight’s meeting.
- Confidentiality / Privacy
- Use “I” statements
- One person / one mic
- Move up / move back
- Oops and ouch (and snap)
- People can choose to be quiet / Participation is voluntary
- We are more than our gender (or any one identity/component)
- Speak about own experiences – please do not talk about others not in the room
- Criticism-free zone – no hurtful or negative comments about individuals or agencies
- In this support-centered space, everyone has an equal voice
- Respect different backgrounds, experiences, and identities
- Remember we all have trauma